Mariano Gomezperalta has extensive experience in international trade and dispute resolution proceedings. He has advised companies and foreign governments on a variety of trade and investment matters under NAFTA, including international trade negotiations, cross-border services, anti-dumping practices and arbitration. He has also served as an arbitrator in NAFTA arbitration proceedings.
Mr. Gomezperalta served as General Counsel of Mexico’s Ministry of the Economy, where he represented the Government of Mexico in numerous trade negotiations, WTO arbitrations, investor-state disputes and settlement agreements with international investors. He was a legal advisor to the Office of the President of Mexico in connection with the North American Security and Prosperity Partnership Initiative. Mr. Gomezperalta has also represented private claimants in multi-million dollar investment arbitration disputes under UNCITRAL arbitration proceedings.
In addition to his international trade and arbitration practice, Mr. Gomezperalta has represented the Export-Import Bank of the United States in the financing of aircraft, engines, equipment and services (valued at over US$4 billion) for airlines and operators located in China, Canada, Mexico, Brazil and Vietnam, among other jurisdictions. He has also advised lenders, consortia and governments in project finance and airport privatization projects.
Mr. Gomezperalta is a graduate of the Harvard Law School where he obtained a Master of Laws. He earned a Licentiate in Law at UNAM University in Mexico City and a Licentiate in Economics at Universidad Iberoamericana, Mexico City. He is licensed to practice in the State of New York and in Mexico.
International Trade, Investment and Arbitration
- Counsel to Mexico’s trucking industry in connection with their investment arbitration claim under NAFTA Chapter XI and the industry’s cross-border services.
- Counsel to the Mexican national movie association (CANACINE) on NAFTA international trade and investment regulations affecting Mexico’s movie industry.
- Arbitrator in NAFTA Chapter XIX arbitration proceedings relating to unfair practices concerning stearic acid, chicken legs and thighs and ether.
- Counsel to the Inter-American Development Bank and the Colombian Government in the development of a program to disseminate the understanding of international investment obligations.
- Counsel to an international consortium in connection with its investor-state arbitration against the Government of Belize.
- Counsel to Ex-Im Bank in connection with a US$700 million financing for the acquisition of Boeing 777 freighter aircraft by a Chinese cargo airline.
- Counsel to Ex-Im Bank in connection with a series of peso and USD financings for the acquisition of fifteen (15) aircraft and their related engines by Mexico’s main air carrier.
- Counsel to Ex-Im Bank in connection with the workout, remarketing and export of aircraft during the bankruptcy of a major Mexican low-cost carrier.
Political Risk Insurance
- Counsel to the Belgian export credit agency (Ducroire) in connection with the design and preparation of their political risk insurance policy for equity investments and shareholder loans.
Recent Speaking Engagements
- “Foreign Investment Transactions in Latin America – Document Drafting and Negotiation,” Bogotá – Colombia, November 15, 2016.
- “Reforms: Sector by Sector,” GTR Americas Mexico’s Trade and Export Finance Conference, Mexico City – Mexico, October 19, 2016.
- “International Trade and Investment Disputes,” International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) International Trade Law Program, Mexico City – Mexico, April 2016.